Town of Silverthorne External Social Media Policy
This social media policy includes guidelines for engaging with the official social media sites of the Town of Silverthorne and the Silverthorne Police Department. These guidelines are designed to foster relevant and respectful dialogue on our social media sites while outlining our practice for handling dialogue that does not adhere to that intent. Use of the Town of Silverthorne’s social media sites constitutes acceptance of this Social Media Policy.
We welcome and encourage comments, questions and other user-generated content from our residents and visitors. However, the Town of Silverthorne’s social media sites serve as a limited public forum and all content published is subject to monitoring. The Town is not responsible or liable for, and neither endorses nor opposes, comments placed on this site by users of the site. Inappropriate user-generated comments, content and posts will be removed (if possible) without prior notice when the content:
- is a completely off-topic comment made on a specific topic, thread or post;
- contains profanity, obscenity or pornographic material;
- contains personal identifying information or sensitive personal information that could potentially be used to perpetrate identification fraud;
- contains threats of violence;
- ·violates intellectual property rights;
- has an unlawful purpose, promotes illegal activities or violates the law;
- contains information that reasonably could compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems;
- advertises or promotes a commercial product or service, or any entity or individual;
- promotes or endorses political campaigns or candidates;
- contains links that are suspected of containing a virus; or
- contains information that could compromise an ongoing criminal investigation.
The Town of Silverthorne’s social media sites are subject to applicable public records laws, as well as all applicable federal, state, and local laws regulations and policies. Any content submitted to these sites by the Town and communication received from users of the sites are public records subject to disclosure. Comments on social media sites do not constitute legal notice against the Town or valid requests for public records. All commenters who post to any of the Town of Silverthorne’s social media sites are bound by the sites’ respective usage agreements pertaining to user rights and responsibilities.
The Town of Silverthorne reserves the right to remove any content that is deemed in violation of this Social Media Policy or any applicable law. Any content removed based on these guidelines will be documented and retained by Town of Silverthorne’s social media administrator(s) for a reasonable period of time, including the time, date and identity of the poster, when available. The Town of Silverthorne reserves the right to block an individual who posts in violation of this Social Media Policy. The Town will notify the poster that he/she has been blocked and will provide an opportunity for the poster to appeal the decision.