Permit Process & Contractor Requirements

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

For details on submittal requirements & the permit process, please review our Builders Information Booklet.

This booklet has been prepared by the Town of Silverthorne Community Development Department to help guide builders through the building permit and inspection process. Becoming familiar with the procedures and requirements will minimize delays in obtaining your permits, prevent unnecessary construction delays, and allow us to more efficiently serve all builders.

To apply for a building permit, make sure you have the following at submittal:

  • One set of complete building plans
  • Completed application
  • A check for the plan review fee and excise tax (if applicable)
  • Landlord approval, warranty deed, and/or HOA approval (if applicable)

Plumbing and mechanical permits must be pulled by the contractors doing the work.

Electrical Permits: Are handled by Summit County Building Department, located at 37 Peak One Drive, County Road 1005, Frisco, CO 80443, Telephone: 970-668-3170. If you will be doing your own electrical wiring, you will also need to take a homeowner electrical code review before obtaining an electrical permit.

Commercial Permits:

Multi-family/ Commercial Building Permits: For all multi-family/commercial construction, permit plans must be stamped by a Colorado Licensed Architect or Engineer.

Multi-family/Commercial Mechanical and Plumbing Permits: A separate Plan Review & Permit Fees is required.

If work is being done in a leased commercial space, the landlord must provide written approval acknowledging the scope of work to be done at the time of building permit submittal. 

Contractor Requirements:

All contractors and subcontractors, other than homeowner/builders must obtain a Town of Silverthorne Business License.  The Town of Silverthorne does not require "contractor licensing" as do some other jurisdictions.  If you have questions, please call 970-262-7300 or 970-262-7310. Business licenses are required to be renewed annually by December 31st.

Plumbing contractors must provide a copy of their master’s license as well as a contractor’s license issued by the State of Colorado.