Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

 FAQ banner

Q: How do I get in touch with a police officer after business hours?
Officers are on duty 24 hours every day and can be reached by calling the after hours dispatch center. The Dispatch non-emergency number is 970-668-8600. For any emergency please call 9-1-1. The police department administrative office telephones are forwarded to dispatch after regular business hours and on holidays.

Q: Where do I need to go to court when issued a citation by a Siverthorne officer?
A: State citations issued by Silverthorne officers are heard at the Summit County Combined Courts, located at 501 North Park in Breckenridge.

Municipal violations are heard at The Silverthorne Municipal Court, which is a combined court with the Town of Dillon. These types of tickets generally involve minor criminal, traffic, parking, animal control violations and violations of minor municipal codes. Cases are heard on the third Wednesday of every month with sessions beginning at 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.

Q: To which police department do I report a crime?
Report crimes to the police agency where the crime occurred. Only crimes that occur within the town limits of Silverthorne should be reported to the Silverthorne Police. Incidents that occur on I-70 and on Hwy 9 north of town should be reported to the Colorado State Patrol. Incidents that occur outside the town limits (Wildernest, Mesa Cortina, Ruby Ranch, Ptarmigan, Hamilton Creek, Dillon Valley) should be reported to the Sheriff's Office.

Q: How do I get a copy of a police report?
Most police reports are public information and can be obtained by filling out a request form. If you cannot come directly to the police department, records can be obtained by mail. If you need a request form, contact the police department during business hours and we can mail, fax, or email one to you. You can also download a form [PDF]. The form must be mailed to us with an original signature. Reports cannot be faxed.

Q: How do I pay a ticket?
When you receive a ticket from the Silverthorne Police, the ticket will indicate if you are required to appear in court (summons) or have been assessed a penalty. If you have been assessed a penalty, mail that to the address indicated on the ticket, or show up in court on the court date indicated. If you have any questions about a ticket, contact the respective court in which the ticket is issued for:  Silverthorne Municipal Court or Summit County Combined Courts.

Q: What happens if I choose to not pay a fine on a ticket?
If you do not pay the fine on your ticket you will have to appear in court before the judge to plead your case.

Q: What happens if I don't show up in court?
If you do not show up for court, the judge will issue a warrant for your arrest. This warrant information is entered into a nationwide law enforcement computer system. Any officer that contacts you and obtains warrant information about you will arrest you and take you to the nearest jail facility.

Q: Where is the Summit County jail?
The only jail facility in Summit County is located at the Justice Center at 501 N Park, Breckenridge. This is the same building that houses the Sheriff's Office and the Summit County Combined Courts. From I-70, take exit 203. Travel 9 miles south on Hwy 9 to Breckenridge. Turn right at the lights on to N Park. Turn  right onto Airport Rd. The Justice Center is located on your right.

Q: How do I get someone out of jail?
Before a person is released from jail, they must post bond (pre-determined by the judge). If they cannot post bond, they will remain in jail until their court date. To post bond, the full amount must be paid in cash or certified funds, or a local bondsman can be contacted to post the bond for you. Bondsmen typically require a fee, 15% of the total bond and collateral for entire amount.

Q: How do I get a restraining order on someone?
Restraining orders are issued through the Summit County Combined Courts. If there is a harassment problem, first report that problem to the jurisdictional law enforcement agency where the harassment is occurring.

Q: Where can I park in Silverthorne?
There is no parking allowed on the town streets of Silverthorne. All vehicles must be parked on private property, off the town right of way (at least 10 feet from the street).

Q: Can I park on the street for a special occasion?
Parking permits can be obtained through the Silverthorne Police Department. These may be issued if you're having a gathering, need to park a large vehicle on the street, or have long-term construction. There is no charge for the permit.

Q: What do I do if my car breaks down and I can't move it right away?
If your vehicle breaks down on the street and you can't move it right away, contact the police department and request a "no tow" of your vehicle. If the vehicle is not a hazard, the police department may allow the vehicle to  remain at the location for 24 hours.

Q: My vehicle was towed  - where can I pick it up?
If your vehicle has been towed by the Silverthorne Police Department it will be at Paul's Towing, 244 Brian Ave, 468 6936.

Q: How can I get a vehicle removed from my property?
If you need a vehicle towed from your private property, contact a local tow service. The police department will not tow vehicles from private property. If your vehicle was towed from private property, contact that property owner to see which tow company they used to tow your vehicle.

Q: How can I get a concealed weapons permit?
All concealed weapon permits in the County are issued by the Summit County Sheriff's Office.

Q: Where is it legal to shoot guns?
It is legal to shoot guns on national forest service land and on private property. Guns cannot be shot in residential areas, across roadways or trails, over a body of water, into live trees, or towards buildings or people. There is a public shooting range available at the top of the Landfill Rd in Keystone. Contact Colorado Parks and Wildlife for hunting information and regulations.

Q: How do I register my pets in Silverthorne?
All dogs and cats in Summit County should be registered with the Animal Control office in Frisco.

Q: What can I do about dog problems in the community?
All animal regulation problems within Silverthorne are handled by the Summit County Animal Control office during the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., seven days a week. Police officers will also respond to these types of problems when Animal Control is not on duty.

Q: What can I do about noise problems with my neighbors?
Silverthorne Police officers will respond to any complaint of unnecessary noise within the town limits. The reporting party has the option of signing a statement which will insure the offenders are issued a summons for disturbing the peace. If the reporting party wishes to remain anonymous, the officer will contact the offenders only if the same noise is evident to the officer when they arrive.

Q: Can I have a bonfire on my property?
Bonfires are allowed on private property without a permit if they meet the following conditions; size is no larger than 3 feet wide by 2 feet high and attended at all times. No fires are allowed, ever, in the town of Blue River or during times of a fire ban.

Q: Where can I get information for help dealing with my landlord/tenant?
Problems between landlords and tenants are usually a civil issue. Click here for general information [PDF]. You can also contact the police department for a brochure. 

Q: Where can I get legal advice if I don't have much money?
The police department does not give legal advice. There are services available in Summit County that provide low cost legal assistance.

Q: What should I do if I suspect a neighbor is doing something illegal?
If you suspect a neighbor of performing some type of illegal activity, (domestic violence, child abuse, drug use, etc.) we ask that you report this even if you don't want to become involved . First of all, please consider calling 9-1-1 if the incident is in progress. The 9-1-1 center will have access to your phone number and address if you call them, however, you can ask to remain anonymous and not leave your name.

Q: How can I get a list of the registered sex offenders in Silverthorne?
A list of registered sex offenders can be obtained from the jurisdictional law enforcement agency where you live. Contact your local law enforcement agency and they can help you obtain a list of sex offenders living in your area.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer